Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Update on Dining Room






I just realized that I hadn't updated my blog lately about what we are doing in the dining room. We did decide to paint and tony picked out three colors, truly olive, garnett, and some shade of white. After several coats, the dining room is looking really good. I will post pictures when I get home since I don't have them on this computer but the colors really look great together and I have to give a shout out to Home Depot for helping tony pick them and giving us exactly the right amount for painting. Tony has really done a great job and I am so thrilled to see him so excited about a project involving the house, even if there are things that need to be done that are more important.

We did have a minor issue, even though we taped everything off, because of the finish on our walls (orange peel) the paint did not make definite lines so tony had to go back and hand fix lots of spots. Overall, it looks really great and we have caught the painting bug! Paint is on sale right now at Home Depot so we have been looking at colors for the living room and front bedroom. Glidden has these cute little bottles of paint that you can buy and try on your walls so we have been trying several to see what goes the best. I can tell you, the card and the paint on your wall never looks the same so it is worth it to have little splotches of color everywhere for a while! We also had a great friend come over and (thanks Kim) and help us pick out colors and give us advice on lighting. Tony is very keen on having good lighting since he is an electrician and has lots of great ideas. He is replacing the can lights in the dining room with nicer looking ones and then adding track lighting. The lower ceiling is also going to get some new can lights since there is no lighting whatsoever on that side of the room other than the blinds letting natural light in. We had played with the idea of floor lamps but I vetoed that idea. I wanted a chandelier but the ceiling is so low that anything hanging down is probably not a good idea. I always hated the chandelier that was already in the dining room because of its location, even though it was really in the center of the room. It hung way down from the uppermost part of the ceiling and just looked out of place. We will be eventually getting a proper dining room table, more than likely a rectangular size and I am hoping antique for that room. I also have my eye on a beautiful antique oak buffet but this will be waaay down the road for now.

Last weekend, we were in Lawrence so we went to their local Home depot and got new sockets and switch plate covers. Who knew something as little as that can make such a big difference? We are also looking at the decora type of switches for the main light switches in that room. Again, who knew there were so many options in switches? We also need to order our vent covers for the room since we have the switch plates now so everything matches. I am so excited! I never knew I would get this into redoing a room. I am hoping we can also start looking at flooring options so we can start saving up for that. Dog show season has started so we are gone most weekends now so it is hard when most places close at 5. Home Depot didn't have any flooring we really liked so we are probably going to have to go with a flooring center's options instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment